Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Verkehr

I was listening to German news radio last night and heard the following traffic report (in approximate translation), which I found endlessly funny:

"...Traffic is slow between Point A and Point B because of a deer on the Autobahn... Between Point C and Point F there is a backup due to people on the road... There is a detour on Road X because of a deer carcass..."

Would that all really be reported in an American traffic report? I don't know, maybe in Wyoming or something.

I also just have to mention that I love grocery shopping in Germany. Every grocery store is as small as Trader Joe's (which was founded, of course, by the people who brought you Aldi), and when you don't feel like a supermarket, there are fruit and vegetable stands on almost every corner where you can buy as many or as few mushrooms as you like while a Turkish man chopping melons with a huge cleaver yells at you to buy peaches you don't want.

No comments:

Post a Comment