Sunday, July 31, 2011

HOF

Well, I've always wanted to live in a barn loft.

i.e. I've made it! Finally on the farm, and it seems really fantastic. First of all, it's gorgeous. Like, idyllic to the extreme. The house is overgrown with ivy and wildflowers and the fields are beautiful and full of green things and tonight I cooked pasta with wild mushrooms and onions and spinach and fresh herbs all picked right before dinner. I mean dang.

And then of course, when the trio of ducks comes flapping up the road to greet you, you really can't help but laugh. I've also met their two half-wild rabbits that pretty much just run around the yard; their goat, Momo; the two geese; ten chickens, which they keep for eggs; two horses; a herd of about ten cows; and a million bajillion barn swallows ("Schwalbenhof" means Swallow Farm).

Already I've pulled weeds, cooked, fed the horses, and brought in the cows from pasture for the night. And tomorrow is when the fun really starts, at 7am.

Did I mention I live in a barn loft? It's pretty hilarious. Like, my mom would have a heart attack. There's no door and no window panes and a mosquito net over the bed (which is a real bed). Then a couple random pieces of furniture, surrounded by old farming implements and a year's supply of firewood. Basically, it's rustic as hell and totally awesome. Now I just need to build some kind of dresser...

Anyway I'll take pictures really soon, assuming I ever have a free moment during daylight hours. I'm sure I will though. Everyone here is super nice. There's the couple who owns the farm, their two daughters, the two younger farm employees (between 23 and 30 yrs old?), and the adorable old grandma that takes care of the flower garden and of whom I can't understand a damn word because her dialect is so thick. Ah well. It seems great, and they all seem to really know their stuff.

Like I said, photos to come soon. Probably first of my room, then later I'll take some of the farm when I start feeling less like a tourist. Because the ducks are wicked cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment